The Learning Center
As a member of the Network of Sacred Heart Schools, The Learning Center supports the Goals and Criteria of a Sacred Heart education of its students. Particularly, "Goal II: a deep respect for intellectual values" is the hallmark of TLC. TLC offers support services for students with mild learning disabilities or for students who learn differently. Students experience academic success, self-advocacy, love of learning, and confidence when given the academic reinforcement. Our specialists work closely with teachers to develop new methods of learning within the dynamic expectations of a college-preparatory curriculum, while emphasizing skill building, use of assistive technology, and alternative approaches of learning. TLC recognizes and honors a student’s unique gifts, talents, learning challenges, and style. In the words of St. Madeleine Sophie Barat, we are here for the “sake of one child.”
Oak Hill offers several options for academic assistance. Tutoring or speech services are available for students with learning differences or who require additional support beyond that of their classroom teacher.
- The Learning Center: Consultation, group sessions, and study skills techniques are available in The Learning Center by referral from the student’s teacher. There is no fee for this service.
- Reading Instruction: Oak Hill’s Learning Specialist is available during school hours by referral from the student's teacher or the Director of The Learning Center. There is no fee for this small group or individualized instruction.
- Private Tutoring and Speech Services: Learning specialists, reading specialists, and speech therapists are available during school hours for an additional charge. Payment is coordinated with the specialists.
Tutoring takes place on campus before, during, or after school. Appointments during the school hours are scheduled through consultation with the classroom teacher, parents and Learning Center.
Villa Duchesne offers several options for academic assistance. Teachers are available for consultation after school and during extended period and break. Tutoring is available on a fee-for-service model for students with learning differences or who require additional support.
- The Learning Center: Consultation, group sessions, and study skills techniques are available in The Learning Center by appointment. Teachers, students, or parents may request the service. The Director of The Learning Center determines the number of sessions.
- Reading Plus program: Students who may want to improve reading comprehension, vocabulary, or fluency have access to a computerized reading program for use at home or during school hours.
- Private Tutoring: Experienced, subject-specific tutors and learning specialists are available during school hours for an additional charge. The specialists coordinate with parents for the payment for services.