Grades 9-12 | Winter Sports
Every student trying out must have all medical documentation completed in Magnus Health. A current physical is required to play. To guarantee that the physical meets the MSHSAA requirements for student-athletes, please use either the MSHSAA Physical Evaluation form or the VDOH physical form found on Magnus Health. Please email Sandy Conway, firstname.lastname@example.org, with questions regarding medical information.
School attendance is mandatory for student-athletes.
- Students must be present at school by the end of the first period or they will not be eligible to play or practice that day. Individual circumstances will be handled by the Athletic Director and Dean of Students.
- Students participating in sports must be enrolled and pass a minimum 7/8 classes.
Excused absences include:
- Illness – An extended illness will require a doctor’s note.
- Physician/Dental Appointments – Students need to bring a note to the coach from the office confirming the day and time of the visit.
- Family Emergency – Parents must communicate any emergencies with coach/Athletic Director.
- College Visits – Students are allowed one (1) excused college visit during a season.
- School-sponsored Activities – Show Choir, Retreats, and other school-sponsored requirements.
- Academics – Academic excuses are allowed if a “purple” excuse note and/or email from a faculty member is sent/brought to the coach.
Individual circumstances will be handled on a case-by-case basis by the coach, Athletic Director, and Principal. Athletes will be allowed two (2) unexcused absences during a season.
Selection of Teams:
Villa Duchesne wishes to provide a safe and positive experience for each of our students who wishes to participate in athletics. Depending on the amount of participation from the student body, size limitations may be imposed in some sports. When this occurs, coaches will evaluate students based on attitude, work ethic, skill, fitness, and the needs of the program to select the participants of a team. There are no guarantees that a student will make a team even if she made a team the previous year or that the student will move to the next level the following year. It is mandatory that all students trying out for a team are present the FIRST DAY so that we achieve the mandatory 14 days of practices required by MSHSAA prior to start of the season contests and everyone participates in the try-out process. If you have any questions regarding a sport, please contact the head coach.
Basketball – Number of teams and cuts will depend on student turnout. Tryouts begin on Monday, November 4, from 3:30-5:30 pm in Kenefick Gym. Due to the Bonne Chance Auction, the location and practice times for the rest of the week are to be determined. Please bring long basketball shorts, basketball shoes, t-shirt, and water bottle. The head coach is Mesho Morrow: email@example.com
Swimming and Diving – Number of teams and cuts will depend on student turnout. Tryouts begin on Monday, November 11, from 3:30-5:30 pm in the pool located on the lower level of Kenefick Gym. Please bring swimsuit, towel, goggles, and water bottle to practice. The head coach is Conor Murphy: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are a diver, please plan to attend on November 11 for further diving information. Divers will practice at John Burroughs and the dive coach is Andy Balczo: email@example.com.