Grades 9-12 | Fall Sports
All tryouts and practices for student-athletes participating in the 2019 Fall Season begin Monday, August 12. Every student trying out must have all medical documentation completed in Magnus Health. A physical is required each year and must be dated after February 1 of the current year. To guarantee that the physical meets the MSHSAA requirements for student-athletes, please use either the MSHSAA form or the VDOH physical form found on Magnus Health. Please email Sandy Conway, firstname.lastname@example.org, with questions regarding medical information.
While most practices will be held in the morning, student-athletes should keep their schedules open the entire week of August 12-16 as practice times may need to be adjusted. When school begins, practices will be held following school.
School attendance is mandatory for student-athletes.
- Students must be present at school by the end of the first period or they will not be eligible to play or practice that day. Individual circumstances will be handled by the Athletic Director and Dean of Students.
- Students participating in sports must be enrolled and pass a minimum 7/8 classes.
Excused absences include:
- Illness – An extended illness will require a doctor’s note.
- Physician/Dental Appointments – Students need to bring a note to the coach from the office confirming the day and time of the visit.
- Family Emergency – Parents must communicate any emergencies with coach/Athletic Director.
- College Visits – Students are allowed one (1) excused college visit during a season.
- School-sponsored Activities – Show Choir, Retreats, and other school-sponsored requirements.
- Academics – Academic excuses are allowed if a “purple” excuse note and/or email from a faculty member is sent/brought to the coach.
Individual circumstances will be handled on a case-by-case basis by the coach, Athletic Director, and Principal. Athletes will be allowed two (2) unexcused absences during a season.
Selection of Teams:
Villa Duchesne wishes to provide a safe and positive experience for each of our students who wishes to participate in athletics. Depending on the amount of participation from the student body, size limitations may be imposed in some sports. When this occurs, coaches will evaluate students based on attitude, work ethic, skill, fitness, and the needs of the program to select the participants of a team. There are no guarantees that a student will make a team even if she made a team the previous year or that the student will move to the next level the following year. No-cut sports for fall include cross country. It is mandatory that all students trying out for a team are present the FIRST DAY so that we achieve the mandatory 14 days of practices required by MSHSAA prior to start of the season contests and everyone participates in the try-out process. If you have any questions regarding a sport, please contact the head coach of the varsity team.
Cross Country – Cross Country is a no-cut sport. Students will meet in Kenefick Gym. Students should bring running shoes, a water bottle, and appropriate clothing for the weather. The head coach is Scott House: email@example.com
Field Hockey – Number of teams and cuts will depend on student turnout. Tryouts will be held on Condie Field. Please bring field hockey equipment including mouth guard, stick, and goggles, as well as tennis shoes, turf shoes, water bottle, and appropriate clothing for the weather. The head coach is Kate Graft: firstname.lastname@example.org
Golf – Number of teams and cuts will depend on student turnout. Tryouts will be held at The Quarry at Crystal Springs golf club in Maryland Heights. Please bring golf equipment, water bottle, and appropriate clothing for the weather. The head coach is Tim LaPlaunt: email@example.com
Tennis – Number of teams and cuts will depend on student turnout. Tryouts will be held on the tennis courts on the Lower Campus. Please bring tennis equipment, water bottle, and appropriate clothing for the weather. The head coach is Missy Minkiewicz: firstname.lastname@example.org
Volleyball – Number of teams and cuts will depend on student turnout. Tryouts will be in Kenefick Gymnasium. Please bring Volleyball equipment, water bottle, and appropriate clothing. The head coach is Madelyn Harman: email@example.com